Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Vice President for Global Programs will provide overall strategic leadership, management, fundraising, and operational direction for global programs in line with the mission, goals and vision of Freedom House. The current portfolio of global programs includes freedom of expression, religious freedom, protection for civil society and human rights defenders, and strengthening human rights mechanisms of international organizations. This position will report to the President.
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Superior ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively in a second relevant language is desirable
- Minimum 15-20 years of directly related experience; six years at senior management level
- Mastery of human rights principles and mechanisms, and expertise in democracy promotion
- Demonstrable expertise in history, culture, economics, politics and dynamics of program areas
- Astute political judgment and strategic thinking and vision for applying international human rights standards for democratic governance, free expression, and associational rights
- Strong familiarity with international human rights mechanisms
- Superior fundraising skills with demonstrable ability to successfully cultivate donors/foundations
- Superior ability to conduct research and apply strong analytical skills to translate complex terms and concepts clearly and engagingly into language easily comprehensible to nonexperts
- Excellent ability to write, review, and edit proposals, reports, procedures, and other materials clearly, concisely, and factually, and present them in public and at high level meetings
- Strong ability to coach and mentor staff and provide visionary leadership to a team of talented professionals from culturally diverse backgrounds
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall strategic direction, leadership, and management that assures programmatic excellence, and integrates all aspects of programmatic activities to include, advocacy, communications, finance, fundraising, management, monitoring and evaluation, and technology
- Provide leadership for effective communication, collaboration, cooperation, and cohesiveness between and among programs, including prioritization of programming that may be competing for limited funding
- Promote innovation in program design and operations and enhance on-ground impact of programs
- Provide leadership in enhancing advocacy and contributions to policy debate on issues within the global programs portfolio, consistent with the mission of Freedom House.
- Increase capacity to generate and diversify revenue and fundraising to support and maintain existing programs
- Ensure program side of organization coordinates closely with other parts of FH, including NY-based projects
- Work effectively with VP for regional programs to maximize synergy and coordination
- Recruit and retain top talent; build and lead cohesive and effective teams; coach, motivate and ensure professional growth and development of staff
- Ensure accountability and good stewardship in the allocation and use of funds
- Other related duties as assigned.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2-year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more……
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-098 VP Global Programs. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.