Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Vice President for Analysis will provide overall strategic direction, leadership, and recommendations that assure excellence in a series of major reports and surveys on the state of global freedom and democracy. The successful candidate will work directly with a New York-based staff of editors and researchers to assure that reports are completed on deadline and with the highest level of intellectual rigor. He or she will play a central role in the development of new projects and reports, as well as in the overall strategic decisions for the organization. Among high priority responsibilities will be fund-raising and the development strategies to more effectively convey the institution to various key audiences. The Vice President will lead efforts to increase awareness of publications and analysis and maximize their potential for revenue generation in line with the mission, goals and vision of Freedom House. This position reports to the President.
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- 15-20 years of directly related experience; six years at senior management level
- Ability to write, review, and edit reports, graphics, and other materials clearly, concisely, and factually, and present them in public and high-level meetings
- Strong knowledge of the dynamics of democratic development and principles and international standards for democratic governance, free expression, and rule of law
- Strong understanding of history, culture, politics, and regional dynamics of relevant countries/regions
- Effective fundraising skills with demonstrable ability to successfully cultivate donors and foundations
- Superior ability to envision, construct, articulate, and implement strategic publications plan
- Strong project management skills from conception through implementation, evaluation, and close-out
- Ability to communicate effectively in a second relevant language desirable
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide innovative oversight of select publications, to include defining publication cycles, resource planning and forecasting for timely release, incorporating relevant programmatic efforts of Freedom House
- Provide leadership in the formulation and implementation of innovative, and successful long- and short-term strategies to increase international and national awareness, and acclaim for assigned publications and other aspects of the organization, including recommendations for new kinds of analysis and reports
- Engage with a diverse set of audiences and cultivate and expand fundraising capacity for publications
- Research, author, and edit articles and op-eds on key human rights and democracy issues
- Present and speak with authority on findings of publications with the media and at rollout and related other events, including conferences
- Apply mastery of publication, and research expertise to effectively interact and speak persuasively with funders, partners, government officials, policy communities, and other stakeholders
- Recruit and retain top talent; build and lead cohesive and effective teams; coach, motivate and ensure professional growth and development of staff
- Provide effective leadership in the management of culturally diverse staff, and provide timely and frequent performance feedback
- Ensure development and maintenance of effective systems and process to support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by publications activities
- Assess overall publications performance and ensure best practices are being developed and implemented
- Other related duties as assigned.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more……
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-044 VP Analysis. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.