Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Senior Research Assistant will assist with the Countries at the Crossroads publication in the New York office. The Senior Research Assistant will provide research, editorial, logistical, and administrative assistance and will report to the Project Director for Countries at the Crossroads. Funding for this program runs through October 2012 and employment thereafter is contingent upon future funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, history, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 18 months of directly related experience
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of international affairs, including democracy and human rights issues
- Excellent ability to write, review, and edit reports
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically with Excel and database programs
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
- Strong project management skills from conception through implementation, evaluation, and closeout
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to facilitate cooperation among people with divergent views
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform developmental and substantive editing, copyediting, and fact-checking of country reports
- Supplement the reports with own research, writing, and analysis, as needed
- Assist with the administrative and editorial coordination of the surveys, and maintain and update survey ratings databases
- Research and write country reports for Countries at the Crossroads and other Freedom House publications
- Assist in recruiting external consultants and coordinating communications with analysts and advisors
- Assist in logistical preparations for ratings review meetings
- Help with preparing graphs and other support materials for publication
- Produce contracts and financial documents such as consultant payment requests in line with Freedom House requirementsProvide research assistance and data analysis
- Help prepare presentations, press releases, and other advocacy and outreach materials
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-047 SRA. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.