Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Project Director will be responsible for leading all areas of program management including strategic design and implementation, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, advocacy, donor relations, fundraising, financial management, staff supervision, office management, and communications for a new country portfolio in the East and Horn of Africa that aims to support local democracy and human rights activists. This position is based in the East and Horn of Africa and will report to the Director for Africa programs based in Washington, DC. This position is contingent upon funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field; Master’s degree strongly preferred
- 8 - 10 years of experience with democracy and human rights programs
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively in Arabic strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion with expertise in documenting human rights abuses, protection strategies for defenders, and advocacy
- Substantial experience with project development and management
- Experience managing human rights and civil society strengthening programs
- Experience working with donors/host governments on democracy and human rights programs
- Substantial experience administering grants
- Knowledge of major donor rules and regulations, and the ability to manage and prioritize multi-donor funding
- Experience with financial management including preparing and managing budgets, banking activities, contracts and negotiations
- Strong ability to effectively manage a diverse team of employees, including expatriate and local staff
- Experience developing project proposals for the U.S. Agency for International Development, Department of State, European human rights institutions and private donor organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with local partners, media, government officials, bilateral donors, as well as in country and foreign experts
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement programs to support democracy and human rights activists in closed environments
- Facilitate strategy development and other technical assistance activities
- Lead all areas of program management including strategic design and implementation, financial management, staff supervision, communications, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant local human rights organizations and activists
- In coordination with the regional director, identify and pursue new opportunities for program development and funding. Represent Freedom House before funding organizations
- Support Freedom House’s ongoing advocacy of democratic governance and human rights issues through contribution to Freedom House publications, articles and other releases
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-061 PD EHA. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.