Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Officer will perform responsibilities necessary to the day-to-day administration of Freedom House’s Vilnius office. He/she will provide programmatic, financial and administrative support for the accomplishment of program objectives. This position will focus on human rights and support of civil society in Belarus, with some focus on the Caucasus. This position is based in Vilnius, Lithuania and Washington, DC.
- Bachelor’s degree in Eastern European and Russian studies, political science, international relations, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, Russian, and Belarusian both verbally and in writing
- Minimum 4 - 6 years of relevant work experience
- Mastery of MS Office Suite
- Experience working with civil society groups in the Caucasus
- Strong ability to interact and network with Belarusian civil society groups and other stakeholders
- Knowledge of EU financial requirements and ability to fundraise
- Experience with media production
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends to complete tasks or attend events
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to development of program strategy and assist in the implementation of overall strategy and vision
- Monitor and implement project activities
- Develop effective relationships with partner organizations, assist them in increasing their capacity to meet objectives and more effectively implement their own programs
- Develop and maintain relationships with the donor and policy community, partners and grantees, policy community, other NGOs and think tanks, as directed by supervisor
- Review partner programmatic and financial reports and drafting program reports as needed
- Ensure compliance with financial and reporting regulations
- Interpret during meetings and events and translate program materials as needed
- Assist with reviewing partner programmatic and financial reports
- Assist with the organization of events and activities programmatically and logistically
- Assist with planning and overseeing implementation of programs, ensuring compliance with financial and reporting regulations
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-048 PO Vilnius. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.