Freedom House supports the spread of freedom and democracy through the world through research, effective advocacy, and program directly supporting frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we are supporting the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Officer will work on transitional justice and rule of law in Tunisia. He/she will perform responsibilities necessary to the day-to-day administration of Freedom House’s Tunisia office and provide programmatic, financial and administrative support for the accomplishment of program objectives. This position is based in Tunis, Tunisia and will report to the Project Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, law, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in Arabic and/or French
- Minimum 4 – 6 years of directly related experience
- Minimum 2 – 4 years of experience with rule of law and transitional justice initiatives
- Experience providing technical assistance to local organizations in Tunisia
- Prior responsibility for successful implementation and development of new programs in Tunisia
- Strong ability to work and interact with Tunisian legislators, judicial and law officials
- Consistent commitment to excellent stakeholder service
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to development of program strategy and assist in the implementation of overall strategy and vision
- Monitor implementation of project activities
- Develop effective relationships with partner organizations, assist them in increasing their capacity to meet objectives and more effectively implement their own programs
- Develop and maintain relationships with the donor and diplomatic community, partners and grantees, policy community, other NGOs and think tanks, as directed by supervisor
- Provide technical assistance and trainings as required
- Prepare program quarterly, final, and ad-hoc reports for authorized internal and external audiences
- Provide regular updates on project activities
- Manage program finances including reviewing expense and sub-grant reports, in full compliance with FH and funder requirements
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-017 PO Tunisia. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.