Freedom House supports the spread of freedom and democracy through the world through research, effective advocacy, and program directly supporting frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we are supporting the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Officer will provide programmatic support for a program supporting independent human rights institutions in East Africa. He/she will assist with strategic design, program design, oversight of program activities, backstopping field offices, monitoring and evaluation, financial management, fundraising, advocacy, outreach, and administration. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and reports to the Project Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field, Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Minimum 4 – 6 years of experience in providing technical assistance to democracy and human rights programs, particularly support to human rights defenders
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of international donor funding sources, specifically EU and USAID, and program management
- Demonstrable ability to prepare reports, proposals, grants, press releases, and budgets as necessary
- Demonstrable ability to write daily correspondence, maintain documentation, and complete required forms
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to development of program strategy and assist in the implementation of overall strategy and vision for country projects
- Assist with the design and implementation of all programmatic aspects, including work plan development, identifying consultants and sub-grantees, organizing trainings and other activities, and monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure the timely completion of required reports and compliance with all provisions of relevant agreements and grants
- Attend regular staff meetings and backstopping teleconferences with DC office, and provide input on areas needed
- Assist in seeking and identifying opportunities for new program initiatives and funding sources
- Prepare responses to requests from donors, governmental organizations, the media, and the public regarding program information
- Support Freedom House’s ongoing advocacy of democratic governance and human rights issues through occasional contribution to Freedom House publications, articles, and other releases
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-026 PO EHA. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.