Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Associate will provide day-to-day project administration and logistical support pertaining to Southeast Asia programs. The Program Associate will report to the Director for Southeast Asia. Funding for this program runs through September 2012 and employment thereafter is contingent upon future funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, Southeast Asia/Asian studies, development policy, political science, or related field
- Minimum six months related experience or combination of education, training, and experience
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion
Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
- Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a great attitude
- Ability to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in problem solving and decision making
- Strong ability to apply interpersonal skills, and successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment and with stakeholders in the region
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
- Discretion, flexibility, the ability to deal with and negotiate conflict effectively
- Experience living/working in Southeast Asia and/or regional language skills
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Exhibit high work standard, adherence to procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks
- Contribute to the preparation of contracts, MOUs, letters of agreement, and other contractual documents, and ensure that the objectives and terms of agreement are met
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire other to attain professional excellence
- Maintain relevant financial and program administration databases
- Produce financial reports, maintain tracking expenditures, and draft budgets
- Process payment requests and business expense reports
- Conduct research, write first drafts, and contribute to proposal development and other fund-raising activities
- Organize participant travel and logistics to the region, including purchasing airline tickets, ground transportation, accommodation, procuring visas, and briefing staff on relevant issues
- Work closely with team members to coordinate events
- Lliaise with participants and partners
- Other related duties as assigned.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more…
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-059/074 PA SEA. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.