Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Associate will assist with coordinating activities related to the global freedom of expression campaign and with the administration and logistics of program implementation. He/she will report to the Senior Program Manager. Funding for this program runs through September 2012 and employment thereafter is contingent upon future funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Minimum six months related experience or combination of education, training and experience
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, freedom of expression issues, and understanding of democracy promotion
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite and ability to conduct internet research
- Excellent writing, proofreading, documentation and editing skills
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Demonstrate eagerness to be creative and take initiative on new ideas and projects
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in problem solving and decision making
- Experience in international affairs preferred
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule and arrange meetings and events, and liaise with internal and external contacts appropriately and under supervision
- Assist with travel plans including flight and hotel research and booking, travel authorization, visa application, etc.
- Monitor key events and issues related to freedom of expression in priority countries, maintain background files and social media coverage
- Assist with financial management, including preparation of draft budgets and requests for funds
- Maintain program files and databases for easy access and retrieval
- Assist with the preparation of proposals and draft correspondence and press releases
- Assist in drafting standard reporting requirements for funders
- Contribute to the development of promotional materials
- Conduct pre-departure briefings for Freedom House staff members and consultants as needed
- Support Freedom House’s ongoing advocacy efforts, including via social media
- Other related duties as assigned.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more……
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-046 PA FOE. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.