Freedom House supports the spread of freedom and democracy through the world through research, effective advocacy, and program directly supporting frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we are supporting the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Associate will provide programmatic support including finance, logistical, administrative, research, writing and data analysis assistance to Freedom House Africa programs. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and reports to the Project Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, law, or related field
- Minimum six months related experience or combination of education, training and experience
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion
- Mastery with MS Office Suite, specifically, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrable knowledge of the East and Horn of Africa region and the political dynamics
- Ability to effectively write daily correspondence, reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Prior experience with donor funded programs
- Knowledge of EU and USAID rules and regulations preferred
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize program logistics and provide administrative support as necessary
- Assist with travel plans including flight and hotel research and booking, travel authorization, visa application, etc.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports, proposals, grants, press releases, and budgets as required
- Draft political updates based on research from various daily media outlets
- Assist in financial management, including preparation of draft budgets and requests for funds
- Maintain accurate filing system and records for all field office documents
- Support Freedom House’s ongoing advocacy of democratic governance and human rights issues through occasional contribution to Freedom House publications, articles, and other releases
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-025 PA EHA. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.