Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Associate will provide support, including finance, logistical, administrative, research, writing, and data analysis assistance to the Vice President for Regional Programs and the Vice President for Global Programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Minimum six months related experience or combination of education, training, and experience
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively in a second relevant language preferred
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to participate in creative processes and create visually stimulating work such as infographics
- Ability to proofread, edit, and provide comments on proposals, reports, and other written work
- Ability to coordinate travel logistics, meetings, and use of conference facilities
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
- Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a great attitude
- Ability to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in problem solving and decision making
- Strong ability to apply interpersonal skills, and successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
- Ability to interact comfortably with Freedom House staff as well as representatives and delegations from outside the organization
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct desk research for assessments, proposals, budget narratives, news updates, etc.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports, proposals, press releases, and budgets as required
- Track drafts and coordinate submissions of reports on Freedom House activities to the Board of Trustees and to funders
- Prepare expense reports and payment requests in compliance with FH and donor requirements
- Track and update program expenditure on a daily basis and maintain budget database
- Maintain and update programs section of the Freedom House website using CSS
- Schedule and arrange meetings and events, and liaise with internal and external contacts appropriately and under supervisionAssist with travel plans including flight and hotel research and booking, travel authorizations, visa applications, etc.
- Create, maintain, and analyze databases for contacts, vendors, and others as assigned
- Provide general office support and a variety of related tasks to other work teams as directed
- Resolve all job-related problems promptly, and escalate unresolved issues as necessary
- Ensure all work products meet standards, policies, and mission of Freedom House
- Other related duties as assigned.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more……
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-082 PA. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.