Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Intern will assist with logistical, research, and administrative support for Middle East and North Africa (MENA) programs. The Intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in program administration, grant management, proposal development and writing to shape Freedom House’s work to promote democracy and human rights in the MENA region. This position reports to the Director for MENA programs.
Bachelor’s degree in international affairs, political Science, or current college or graduate student
Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Arabic, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively in French preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in international human rights and democracy issues
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Regional knowledge of the Middle East and North Africa
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with program team
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and organizational skills
- Experience with preparing financial documents preferred
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide research assistance for programs and proposal development
- Assist with editing/writing proposals, reports, press releases, and briefing books
- Prepare financial forms and draft agreements, translating back-up documents as needed
- Communicate via Skype, email and phone with field staff, consultants and local partners
- Assist with organizing events and meetings in DC and abroad related to FH programs
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2013-007 MENA Intern. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without restrictions need apply.