Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for financial and administrative functions according to the regulations, policies and procedures of donors, the host government and the organization in support of Freedom House’s programs in Tunisia. This position is based in Tunis, Tunisia and will report to the Project Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, accounting, or related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience with grants compliance monitoring
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel
- Knowledge of all accounting principles, GAAP and automated accounting systems
- Knowledge of USAID and US Department of State financial and reporting requirements
- Knowledge of Tunisia’s accounting and financial laws
- Knowledge of OMB Circulars A-110, A-122 and A-133
- Ability to analyze financial information efficiently and accurately
- Ability to effectively write daily correspondence, reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms
- Prior experience working in a finance or accounting department of an international organization preferred
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as liaison with Freedom House DC finance and program staff on finance and grant compliance issues and with Tunisian banks regarding local office fund account/s in consultation with Project Director
- Maintain the integrity and ensure accuracy of all financial data including reviewing and posting entries to General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Conduct financial analysis and prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements
- Facilitate preparation of annual audit required by Tunisian authorities
- Assist with monitoring cash flow and overseeing organization’s financial status
- Ensure all accounting records and systems are in compliance with funder requirements as well as requirements of Tunisia government
- Oversee financial and grant compliance component of sub-grant programs including assessment of sub-grant applications, assisting in creation of sub-grant documentation and monitoring of financial reporting
- Maintain and account for petty-cash, including handling, reconciliation and reporting
- Ensure compliance with programmatic objectives, financial obligations and reporting requirements according to grant agreements
- Manage the smooth functioning of the Freedom House Tunisia office support systems including negotiations with the landlord, vendors and other service providers in the most cost effective manner
- Establish and maintain internal control to ensure compliance with financial policies and procedure
- Manage the maintenance of financial and payroll and human resources information systems
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-054 FO Tunisia. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.