Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Intern will support program activities and advocacy campaigns to advance democracy and human rights across Eurasia, a region that remains one of the world’s most repressive regions. She/he will support the team in administration and logistics of program implementation, research, fundraising, and outreach. This is a 40 hour per week paid Internship that will require a 6-month commitment. The Intern will report to the Eurasia Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, human rights, law, development studies, and Russian language, or related field
- Experience in creating, managing, and reporting on budgets and program activities, including exchange programs and cost share requirements.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in Russian and/or Turkish language preferred
- Experience working on issues pertaining to the region, particularly countries of the former Soviet Union, with background on Central Asia (Kazakhstan in particular) and Turkey
- Knowledge and interest in international human rights and/or international relations
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in country research on human rights and governance issues
- Assist with drafting narrative reports, advocacy statements, and congressional testimony
- Assist in processing program expenditures in the region and drafting budgets
- Attend events related to human rights issues in Eurasia and prepare reports and briefs, as needed
- Assist with program development and daily administrative and financial duties, as needed
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-062 Eurasia Intern. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.