Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Intern will support Freedom House’s communications efforts and to help improve visibility on social networking and new media sites. She/he will have the opportunity to work directly with Freedom House’s external audiences to engage and educate them on democracy and human rights issues and to raise awareness of violations of these rights around the world. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Senior Communications Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area or current college or graduate student
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in human rights and/or international relations
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience using social media platforms such as Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Excellent internet research and documentation skills
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
- Eagerness to be creative and take initiative on new ideas and projects
- Knowledge of InDesign, Final Cut Pro and Photoshop preferred
- Prior experience with website management preferred
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the creation and distribution of external content for Freedom House including press releases, media alerts, newsletters, blogs, and other web site content
- Interact with and assist with maintaining Freedom House’s social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.)
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of social media campaigns
- Assist with Research and strategy of ways to increase search engine optimization
- Assist with communications projects (e.g. videos, public awareness campaigns, design work)
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-110 Communications Intern. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.